bookishandnerdy

Bookish and Nerdy

Books, books, and more books with some fangirling on the side.

The Name of the Star (The Shades of London)
Maureen Johnson
Mockingjay (Hunger Games Series #3)
Suzanne Collins
The Darkest Minds - Alexandra Bracken X-posted from my blog: http://bookishandnerdy.blogspot.com

This book has been receiving tons of hype on book tube lately. I purchased this book when it was released last December, but I did not pick it up to read until this month. Well, I can’t believe it took me so long to read this book. This book is amazing. Essentially, The Darkest Minds is about girl, Ruby, who goes from normal to different in a split second. This is her struggle against an entire world who fears her and others like her when all she wants is acceptance. Ruby yearns for safety and security. She yearns for love and acceptance. I think that’s what makes this such a fantastic story. The overall theme isn’t new, but Alexandra Bracken has a way conveying Ruby’s struggles and obstacles in a way that is relatable. Not only that, Bracken sets up this great character arc for Ruby. We see Ruby start as scared and weak and turn out to be the complete opposite. The other characters are exceptionally written. I found myself loving all of them equally (at least the good guys). Liam, the kind hearted almost too trusting love interest, had such a great back story. Suzume aka Zu made her way into my heart and she was like my little sister. Chubs is by far one of my favorite all time favorite characters. The pacing of the novel is done well. By far, though, the world building is the most fantastic aspect of this novel. Bracken uses the simple premise of disease that takes out a certain population and triggers powers in the remaining kids and builds upon it. The reaction to the cataclysmic events are realistic and frightening. I found myself thinking that, “Yes, this is how the people of America would react”. Scared and irrational like we always seem to do. Alexandra Bracken introduces to a scary world where the future of the us is quickly disappearing. She does a superb job, and I absolutely love this book. I cannot wait for the sequel.